Renegade Creativity!
Welcome to Renegadeskins! You'll need to login in order to use all the features, like downloads, and view all the sections of this site.
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Joinus10

Registration is free and will only take a few seconds of your time.
Features of a registered account:
-Your allowed to post and comment Skins.
-No Ads.
And much more
Renegade Creativity!
Welcome to Renegadeskins! You'll need to login in order to use all the features, like downloads, and view all the sections of this site.
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Joinus10

Registration is free and will only take a few seconds of your time.
Features of a registered account:
-Your allowed to post and comment Skins.
-No Ads.
And much more
Renegade Creativity!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Renegade Creativity!

Forum Statistics: 2766 Threads | 19061 Posts | 1536 Users | Welcome to our newest member https://renegadeskins.forumieren.de/u1562

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterStaffLog in
We're attempting to expand to support more games, please post skinable games suggestions and tell your friends!

Share | 

Paint Shop Pro Tutorial

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WubWub  

Number of posts : 107

Registration date : 2009-07-20

Paint Shop Pro Tutorial _
PostSubject: Paint Shop Pro Tutorial   Paint Shop Pro Tutorial EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 7:00 am

since a few people have been asking me, This is a tutorial to make your own skins and textures. For the first bit I will tell you what tools are best for what job and how to shade etc. I will be using Paint Shop Pro 8,

First get XCC mixer open and take a look at some skins to change. Characters will have a C-(char name) inform and vehicles will have v_ (veh name) in front.

For this tutorial I will be using a nod arty skin (v_nod_artillery)
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Image002
Once you have it in paintshop pro, now you must decide what you are going to do with it. Whether it is change texture, add highlights, or simply change colour.

First I am going to teach you have to change the color.

Select the paintbrush icon (or just hit “B”) and make the size of the brush (on the top tool bar where is says “Size”) suitable for what area you want to change color (whether it’s the whole thing or just small details, ie. The lights)

Again, on the top toolbar, go over to the far right where it says “Blend Mode” and it should say “normal” next to it. Click on the arrow pointing down and select “Color”. This is a basic tool to change the color, Color(Legacy) is not as intense of Color, use that if the color appears to bright to your liking.
(The hardness is a preference thing, I usually keep it at 50)
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Image004

Now select what color you want and paint away on your skin. A useful shortcut key when you mess up it “Ctrl+Z” it is a shortcut to “Undo” or if you acciednetly paint a grey part when you painting red, you can hold “CTRL” and right click the grey area and right click it again without holding “CTRL” and paint away the color on the grey parts

Here is a quick example of what color dose:
Note: For smaller and detailed areas I use hardness 100, this makes the bursh a solid paint.
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Image006

You now know how to use color tool.

Ok, so what are all these other blend modes besides color? Well I don’t really use them. The only real other one I use is soft light.
Soft light lightens/darkens the color depending on what color you choose. I sometimes use this for highlights, but not usually.
Here is a quick example of what it dose using same settings as before but with a bit of variation with the blue color (Lighter for highlights, darker for shadows):
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Image008

Not too notably different, but it is a bit more detailed.

Now we want to add better highlights/shadows.

On the left toolbar, 3 tools underneath paintbrush, click (Lighten/Darken Brush) or simply push “L”
K, now you have that selected heres how it works:

You left click to highlight (lighten) and right click to add shadow (darken)

Simple but can add great effects.

A quick example:
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Image010

Shading can be the difference between a good skin and a great skin. Or it can be very bad and make it ugly, depends of perspective and how it looks ingame.
So now we are pretty much done the skin

To save it, click “File”, “save as” then the name it was already named and then make sure u click “No alpha” then save in your renegade data folder. Then go in game to see what it looks like:
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Image012
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Image014

Another method I like to use is the selection method.

First go to the far left toolbar again and click the selection tool (right above the eye dripper which is above the paintbrush) Click down on it (it should be a dotted box) and pick free hand selection.

Once you have that go to the top toolbar and click the tab that says “Freehand” change it to “point to point” and make sure the “mode” is “Add(shift)”

Now you can outline what you want to color just by clicking on one area and outlining the rest. Right click twice to complete the selection.
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Image13-1

Notice how I only have the red parts selected? You can deselect things by holding “Ctrl” and selecting parts you don’t want in the selection.

Now to paint it up:
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Image14-1

But pushing “Ctrl+Shift+i” you can invert the selection and paint the grey parts. I made it black by the “Soft light” mode on paint brush and painting the whole thing black twice.

Finished Result:
Paint Shop Pro Tutorial Image15

this is just a basic tutorial and shows basic techniques that i learned. For new users to paintshop pro or even photoshop just teaches some basic's.

Last edited by WubWub on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Paint Shop Pro Tutorial

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Renegade Creativity! :: General Creativity :: Skin Making :: Tutorials-
Jump to: